Modern Glamour Portraits Guide, KFP-style!
Oh boy! It's time to choose clothing for your glamour session! Read on to see some of my best tips and tricks!
The MOST important thing: I want you to look like *you*, in whatever you are most comfortable, and whatever makes you both feel like the epitome of yourself. If you have a gorgeous dress hiding in your closet that you never get the chance to wear -- bring that! There are no specific requirements -- just bring things you love and that make you feel awesome! Variety is great, so bring anything that you love, and even a couple things that you might not think of as your favorites. You might be surprised how beautifully they photograph!
Four types of clothing to consider bringing
Here's a quick guide for 4 different types of clothing to bring (just so we have options!). None of these are requirements, but they're a solid foundation for a stunning glamour session:
- Something LIGHT (think flowy, breezy, light colors like white, cream, soft pink)
- Something DARK (this might be a simple black or navy dress, or it can simply be a dark top with jeans)
- Something frilly/lacy/sequiny/FUN (that dress you've had for years that you keep because you might need something like it someday? Someday is here!)
- Something SEXY/sassy (LBD, your favorite going out outfit, or a classic gown - what makes you feel in charge of the world?)
Want a couple more ideas? Here is an inspiration board I put together. Use this as a jumping off point, and dig into your closet to find what you want to bring! And make sure you scroll down for the super important DOs and DON'Ts.
You'll wear around three different "looks" in your glamour session. Bring 4-6 outfits and a few "layerable" items (sweaters, jackets) that we can pick from.
1) Make sure you eat a light, healthy meal before we begin our session. You are going to be in all sorts of crazy poses for these photos, and I don't want you to pass out on me! I want to make sure you have energy to work through the whole session.
2) The day of your session, be careful not to wear tight socks, and take off the hair tie that is around your wrist before showing up so we won't forget! Those both leave lines that last for hours, and I think we'd both rather that not be in your photos!
3) Come with a clean face and clean, dry hair. And get ready to be pampered!
- DO bring form-fitting clothing, generally speaking. Whether you are very slim or rock a curvy shape, our bodies look best in photographs if we can see what we're working with! Loose, baggy clothing just gets in the way of showing off how awesome your body is! Don't worry - the posing that I will guide you through will highlight your best features, and pull focus away from the areas that you don't love as much. And hey: maybe you'll start to love a part of yourself that you didn't before, just by experiencing it in a different way during this empowering photo shoot! You never know!
- DO think of the colors that best represent you -- bring bold, fun colors and patterns if that's your thing!
- DO have a fresh coat of paint on your nails and toes -- OR have completely clean, nude nails. Either one is totally fine -- we just don't want chipped polish!
... and DON'Ts...
- DON'T go tanning or get a spray tan in the week leading up to your session. The spray tan can appear extra orange in photos -- and it can rub off on your clothes or the bedding. And definitely do your best to avoid coming in with tan lines! They can be edited out for an additional charge, but we don't want to do that if we don't have to.
- DON'T wear clothing that is too tight in your session (I'm talking squeezing into a size 8 skirt if you're really more like a 12) - it can create weird lines and bulges in the curves of your body and we don't want that! Make sure you bring clothes that flatter your body for your shoot.
- DON'T worry about shoe choice. You can bring a pair of heels, or otherwise comfortable shoes that you feel good in, but your feet are not going to be the focus of these images. And if anything, you might be barefoot, which gives a very authentic feel to your images!
Other fun things to think about...
Lots of layers: think lace mixed with leather or denim; think sweaters loosely buttoned over a pretty top. Different textures layered on top of each other create interest and depth in the images.
Headpieces/hair bling: hair fascinators, hats, and veils can all be really fun.
I can't wait to see what you bring!! And remember, we will go through everything you brought and choose your final outfits based on what will look great together, and what will photograph brilliantly. Bring 5-6 different outfits, and we'll pick the best 3 among them -- I will guide you through this process! You are going to SHINE!
Come ready to rock this session. Try your best to be relaxed and only bring positive self-talk with you -- this is your day to celebrate YOU. So let's cheer on your amazing, powerful body and have an awesome time!